Strategies for gaining uplift in a downshift
Below are my favorites from the discussion and best practices sharing from the board. Many of these might be common sense to some but my experience tells me that most marketers become very focused on doing less of the same rather than doing what’s critical for the long term health of the business.
- Pay attention to your best customers…do NOT take them for granted!
- Think about “value added” service in addition to the tangible product you are selling?
- Redirect discretionary spending to future activity to reassure your current customers that you are positioning for the future vs. advertising and new customer development.
- Work more closely with the sales team – no time for turf battles. You will win or lose together…look around there are less of you.
- Focus – what is your point of differentiation? Invest in it and nothing else during this difficult period.