This has HUGE implications for companies and brands. This has not been widely publicized but has far reaching implications both positive and negative. A few examples to clarify what could and will likely happen. Big brands and industries will begin having their own TLD's in late 2012. For example you might see .Coke, .IBM, .Ford as example for companies. Other organizations might want to create categories and then "market" them to potential interested companies. .Car, .Music, .Sports, etc. A few facts to be aware of...
- Application period: 1/2012 - 3/2012
- Applications published: 4/2012
- Application evaluations: 4/2012 - 12/2012
- Application approval/rejection notice: 1/2013
- ~$250,000 - Application Fee
- 90 Page Application that will likely require outside consultants to assist
- Application fee unlikely to be refunded if application rejected
The one thing we know is that Google algorithms use the info to the right of the "." as the first check currently. We are also certain that Google is preparing for this in their search algorithms for the future and this has the potential to be very complicated and expensive if you don't have a plan.